Monday, May 16, 2011

a time to remember...reflect...celebrate...and live life to the fullest!

Hello!

I'm sure you are all worried with everything going on over here and everything that you hear in the news but just know that I am OK!  It is a little disturbing and nerve racking to think about living in a dangerous place but I try my best to be aware of everything and just be super careful.  I also (as stupid as it sounds) try not to watch TV when I'm near one or listen to the news or read newspapers because it makes me scared and I really dont want to be scared to walk down my street everyday...so I'm living my life as usual and being cautious with everything that I do.

Now on to the good stuff...lol...I know it has been a really long time and I am truely sorry for the delay in my weekly update but time just seems to fly by quicker than I'm used to...so here is what I have been up to these past few weeks....

On Tuesday the 3rd we didnt have any programming through WUJS only our weekly meeting to go over upcoming events and any logistical problems.  Our supervisor Ricky asked us how we felt during Yom Hashoa when the siren sounded and everything stood still for two minutes.  I decided to say something and before I knew it as I was talking I started to get choked up and cry.  I didn't think it was going to affect me as much as it did...but my roommates were right next to me comforting me as I finished up what I had to say...I was glad I said something because I wanted everyone to hear how much it meant to me to be here in our homeland on such an important day in Jewish history. 

We then heard a Holocaust survivor's story.  This was the first time when I heard someone's story and realized that I didn't have my grandparents around to tell their story.  It was the first time I realized that wow if my sisters and parents, aunt, uncle and cousins don't remember everything that we have been told about our familys' survival of the Holocaust it will all be lost.  Many of this survivor's stories sounded very similar to things that happened to my grandma (may she rest in peace) when she survived.  I then went up to her and thanked her for coming into our meeting and sharing her story with us....and sure enough the minute I went to go thank her I started crying hysterically...wow i'm such a sap!!!

The rest of the day was pretty quiet...went to the gym and then had a career seminar in the evening.  It was soo weird to be back in that world listen to what companies have to say on how to use our internships to our advantage on our resumes when we look for jobs back home.  I made a few contacts and all in all it felt good to at least start to think about what I would do when I get home.  Although i'm not gonna lie it is pretty nice not to be thinking about that stuff right now and living in the moment and day to day here in Tel Aviv.  I am very proud of myself though because I think for the first time in my life I'm not thinking about the future but only the NOW (dad you'd be very proud...lol)

Wednesday and Thursday were typical days...went to work...gym and then came home and relaxed.  Friday I decided to take a trip to Holon and visit one of the most amazing design museums I have seen yet...the Design Museum Holon.  It was designed by Ron Arad Architects!!!  All I can say is that it was truely inspiring to walk around that museum.  The exhibits were amazing as well.  That was definite the highlight of my week...people at the museum must have thought I was crazy the way I was walking around the structure and taking pictures and looking at it from every different angle...the last time I saw a building like this was in LA when Sam and I went to visit Frank Gehry's Disney Concert Hall!

Friday night was the first day I got to see one of my friends who came in to visit.  It was soo nice having a close friend here...it felt like home for a short time.  We went to one of his friend's houses to watch the final four basketball game in the European league and Tel Aviv won!! woohoo!!!  The night proceeded to have an interesting outcome but we got home safe and sound and thats all that matters.  Saturday was a lazy day from what I can remember...then had dinner with my friend from home on the Tel Aviv Port...it was beautiful and the perfect end to another amazing weekend!

Now on to last week.  Last week like the week before was quite emotional.  Sunday evening was Yom Hazikaron for the Soldiers and victims of Terrorism.  Most of the people in my group and I went to the MASA event on Ammunition Hill in Jerusalem for a commemorative service honoring 7 soldiers/victims who were killed.  It was an amazing ceremony.  While each of the 7 was spoken about either a song played in the backround...or their parents spoke about how they have kept their child's memory alive or they had someone speak about how this person touched their life.  It was a very emotional evening and it made me miss my family dearly.  I wished they were right next me so that I could give them a big hug and kiss and tell them how much I love them and how much they mean to me!!!  I specifically lost it when one of the victim's fathers came up to say kaddish for his daughter who died in 2001 at the age of 15 in the sbarro terrorist bombing in Jerusalem.  It just made me realize even more how fragile life is and how you have to be thankful and greatful for everything!  and literally seize the day everyday!!!

At the end of the program when we all started to walk back to the bus I spoke with one of the guys on my program and realized that one of the 7 soldiers that was talked about who was from Philly I actually visited his grave on Mt. Herzl when I was on Birthright!  It touched me even more to remember this and realize that these victims were closer to me than I thought.  The rest of the evening I definitely reflected a little bit and was just super thankful for everything in my life!

On Monday...we had half a day of work in honor of Yom Hazikaron.  At 11am a siren sounded to remember those that were killed however this time I was in the car with my boss on the way to our job site.  So we pulled off to the side and listened to the siren from inside the car.  Again a moving experience.  The rest of the day was spent at home hanging out until the evening when I went with one of my roommates to meet up with one of my friends.  She invited my roommate and I to a BBQ in the middle of the woods on the outskirts of Jerusalem to celebrate Yom Haatzmaut - Israel Independence Day!  It was really cool and a little eery...we pulled up into the pitch black of the woods to a fire where families were gathered around the fire eating the typical foods at an israeli BBQ...pita..hummus..israeli salad...and tons of meat!  I had a great time...ate a ton of food and finished the night in bed by about 3am to the sounds of the street parties going on in honor of independence day in my neighborhood.

The next day I got picked up by one of my cousins and we went to her parents yacht on the Herzliyya Marina.  We spent most of the day hanging out on the boat...sunbathing and relaxing!  It was great!  I met one of my uncle's other cousins...it is soo nice to be around family!!!  That evening I met up with another friend of mine (who I met at the gym) to go to a concert.  The concert was of her fellow students who are a cover band.  It was sooo nice to be around other Americans and listening to American music.  I had an amazing time and look forward to more in the future!!!

On Wednesday it was back to a regular day of work...however the evening was no fun...my gums had been bothering me since Sunday but I figured i must have bit something the wrong way and irritated them but I decided to make a dentist appointment anyway to be on the safe side.  So I made all the necessary calls to go through my travel insurance company and finally found a dentist at couple towns over who could see me that night.  My cousin was kind enough to pick me up and take me there...needless to say thank g-d she came with me because the doctor spoke very little english and the minute I could tell something was wrong my translation skills went out the window...lol!  But the doctor was really sweet..she put medicine on my gum and told me how to take care of it until I saw her the week after for my follow up visit.  Went home right after and rested up.

Thursday was a crazy day...but good crazy...had work...then went to the gym and then had to come home and get ready very quickly for our rooftop party that we put together very last minute.  All I can say is that it was a huge success...we had an amazing turn out and I had a blast!  I went to bed super late and allowed myself Friday morning to sleep in!  I'd have to say Thursday and Friday were two of my best days that I have had on this program in a while.  Everyone really came together for the party thursday night and friday was just a great roommate/wujies day!

On Friday the 4 of us who are going to Eilat/Petra next weekend got together to book our hostel...Petra trip and go get our bus tickets for our ride down to Eilat.  The evening concluded with a Shabbat weekend by a family friend in Ramat Gan.  She was soo kind and picked me up early Friday evening and drove me home Saturday night after Shabbat was over.  The weekend was very relaxing...I slept...ate a ton of homemade cake...apparently every time you have tea you must have cake...lol...and finally finished the book I started reading on the plane ride her two months ago...I know I'm soo not a reader!!!

When I got home Saturday night I caught up with my roommates on how their weekend went and what happened while I was gone.

Yesterday was business as usual....work...an amazing kickboxing class and then cooking with my roommate...eggplant lasagna...no noodles all veggies...it tasted interesting...ohh food experimenting...lol!

Today I was super tired but pushed through...went to work...went to the job site...sat through the construction meeting that was all in hebrew and semi understood what was going on...lol!  Then I walked through the building that is almost done to see the progress..its amazing!!!  My boss then told me that next week we were going to spend one day together on site setting up a model apartment...I'm soo excited!  I will also be punch listing his family's apartments...these Israeli construction workers are soo not going to be a fan of me and my NYC standards ;) !!  Then came home...went to the gym and have been relaxing the entire rest of the evening...felt really nice!

Tomorrow a few of my friends and I were supposed to go to Jerusalem but our supervisor thought it would be safer to go another time because of the Muslim holiday of Hanakba Day...the day Arabs mark the "catastrophe" of Israel's birth on May 15, 1948.  So we will have to reschedule our trip...to the old city...dome of the rock etc.

This weekend is our trip to Eilat and Kibbutz Ketura with WUJS.  Should be interesting..we have hikes...time relaxing on the kibbutz at the pool and about 2 hours total...yup thats it...in Eilat...but thats ok because next weekend I will be there again :)

Oh also my gums/tooth are feeling better...I have my follow up dentist appointment tomorrow and I'm hoping for some good news that its healing.

I will try my best to keep updating this blog as often as possible!

So until next time....

I love you and miss you all...Laila Tov!!!

<3 D

No comments:

Post a Comment