Thursday, April 14, 2011

a jew in the cosmopolitan holyland...

Hello there!!! 

I know I'm writing another post less than a week after the last one...yay...lol!!! 

I just had this yearning to share with everyone back home how amazing it is being a Jew in a Jewish state!  For the past week my office has been receiving gift baskets, wine and many other gifts all in honor of Pesach.  Everyone in my office couldn't understand why I thought this was strange...I proceeded to explain to them that the only time we receive big baskets and gifts or when vendors come into our offices in NYC is during Christmas time....which obviously doesn't mean much to us Jews but has become part of our life back in the states.  It is soo nice to see my holidays as national holidays...where all offices and schools, etc. are closed and I don't have to take personal time or vacation time in order to celebrate a holiday like I do in NYC.

Although I don't really see myself living here after these 5 months there is something to be said about the generosity, kindess and warmth that exudes my office and mostly everyone I come into contact with here.  I am definitely enjoying looking at a calendar and seeing Jewish holidays as national holidays its great!  It makes me proud to be Jewish.  Where as in the states it becomes..."oh great more vacation time I have to use in order to celebrate all these Jewish holidays".  Here you embrace it...everyone embraces and celebrates the holidays...whether you are a religious Jew or a secular Jew everyone comes together for every Jewish holiday.

Well anyway....enough of my zionistic ranting...lol....just thought I'd share this one amazing experience with all you Jews out there!

This week has definitely been a better one....been getting to the gym...still trying to recover from the 10k I ran and trying to fit ulpan, work and mandatory WUJS activities into my schedule...yess can you say hectic!!!

Besides all of the Pesach celebrating I went to the Ayalon Institute and the Rabin Center on Tuesday.  The Ayalon Instiute was really cool.  It is where bullets were made secretly for the Hagana during the Independence War.  The way the secret factory was constructed underground was amazing and quite inventive. 

The Rabin Center (Israel Museum) actually impressed me more than I thought it would.  I left the museum quite touched, inspired and heavy hearted after our hour long walk through the complex.  The building and exhibition design is beautiful and really speaks to the material on display.  The first part of the tour is in a room with a 270 degree screen showing a video of the night Rabin was assassinated.  Then you walk through the museum on your own (with your own headset) and learn about his life and Israel's birth up until his death in 1995. 

The last room (where they show videos of the aftermath of his assassination and his funeral) was where I lost it....I just broke down crying after I walked out.  I became very emotional especially after watching Rabin's granddaughter speak at his funeral.  For those of you who don't know I lost my grandma this past January so it hit close to home...listening to this speak and being in a room that evoked sadness but hope at the same time.  To say the least, this room was my favorite!  I highly recommend  a visit to this museum.

Therefore I am dedicating this post to you....Nanny!!!  You were the glue and strength of our family and we miss you soo much!  I wish you had the opportunities that I have been afforded and I wish you had the opportunity to live and visit Israel but just know that as I walk throughout the holyland you and Grandpa are with me every step of the way!

Love u and miss u all!

Chag Sameach L'kulam!!!!

<3 D

No comments:

Post a Comment