Tuesday, March 29, 2011

life as an israeli

Hello!!!  Sorry its been soo long...I was planning on writing a blog everyday but I think I've come to realize that every week will be more like it :)  Today I had such an amazing and productive day...woke up early had my first training session at the gym...went food shopping and then spent the day in the apartment...cleaning up...organizing myself and just getting things done!!!  Mom...would be soo proud ive definitely become quite domesticated...its amazing what Israel can do to you...lol!  I was also very proud...I actually cooked fresh veggies for the first time for dinner...I sauteed eggplant and onions to eat with my prepared chicken for dinner...I was sooo happy and super proud!!!

I think I'm finally starting to feel at home...besides the whole no personal space thing and the rude sherut and bus drivers...I thought NYC was bad but I think TA tops the list of rude individuals!  Besides that though I'm really loving my life right now.  I left work yesterday with a huge smile on my face so happy to be in Tel Aviv and working in the most amazing office...surrounded by amazing coworkers who have literally invited me into their homes like I am one of the family...I have been blessed with their support and kindness.

To recap last week...I started my first week of work and ulpan.  Work is amazing...I'm sitting in meetings all spoken in hebrew and I have to say I can understand a lot of what is going on and the little I dont my boss is there to explain it to me.  Ulpan is good but I'm hoping the slowly but surely my hebrew speaking with come back..otherwise its good for right now...not sure if i will keep it up after the first month but we will see.  I signed up for a gym and started going to classes and weight training.

Last Tuesday we had a seminar about Israeli politics and where the country stands today...it was pretty interesting and pretty disturbing at the same time to hear about how things are in Israel.  Then we had a walk through Neve Tzedek...one of the most beautiful old neighborhoods....I definitely can't wait to go there for a day and sit in a coffee shop or walk around and take pictures of the buildings...they are beautiful.

Last Thursday we had another seminar with my old birthright leader...it was great to see him...he talked about traveling around Israel and what to do and see while we are here.

Then on Friday I got invited by my coworker to Shabbat Dinner at her brother's house.  It was soo nice to get out of the apartment and what we all call Real World: Tel Aviv...lol and be with Israelis and her family.  They were soo welcoming and again helped me practice my hebrew...although i definitely have to be more proactive in my practicing ;)

Saturday was a relaxing day...slept in...went to the gym and then at night we got tickets to the Israeli soccer game against Latvia.  It was pretty cool sitting in a stadium and listening to the Hatikvah being sung before the game started...def an amazing experience!  Then it was time to get back to the apartment to get ready for my new work week which begins on Sunday.

All in all I am having an amazing time here...I'm soo happy I decided to do this program....this week so far has been one of my better ones but I can't wait for more amazingness (yess im making up words...lol!) More ulpan tomorrow and dinner with Lee on Thursday..yay!!!  Then we'll see what happens this weekend!

Miss u and love u all!!!!

Laila Tov!
<3 D

No comments:

Post a Comment